Thursday, December 2, 2010

Goes to eleven

I made it through the night ... barely.

I can honestly say that I've never heard anyone snore as loudly as Pop. I had to put in my earbuds, turn on some Chopin, and crank it to eleven!



We spent several hours today at the Holland Motor Homes lot. Pop was talking with the salesman and I took th opportunity to look at some RVs. The Class A motor homes (essentially buses) were pretty impressive! They were huge and generally luxurious. They were also very expensive. My favorite has a slide out deck! It was $399,999. Yikes.

I just noticed that the RV Consumer Group has used a Born Free as their picture of a Class C! That's pretty cool.

I also got to look at some other Class C motor homes. I'd never really looked through any of the other Class C makes - I've always been around Born Frees. I'm definitely biased, but I was shocked by the poor quality of the materials and workmanship I saw! The Coachmen and Fleetwood motor homes just didn't seem as well put together - especially the cabinets. By comparison, they felt thin and insubstantial.

Yesterday, when Gram and I were at Borders, we were looking for a book for Pop. I suggested Philip Yancey's newest book, What Good Is God?. Pop read What's So Amazing About Grace? and Where Is God When It Hurts? on our trip and loved them both, so I figured this was a good pick. Gram, however, picked How Did I Get Here?: The Ascent of an Unlikely CEO, by Tony Hawk over my snickering objections. Yes, the Tony Hawk. I've got nothing against the guy - never really played any of his games, but it's impressive how he's built himself into a brand - I just figured it wouldn't be up Pop's alley. Plus, look at the cover - Pop's not gonna go for that.

Pop read the first chapter or two and decided it wasn't for him. "All he talks about is himself," Pop complained. I reminded Pop that it is sort of an autobiography, but he was inconsolable.

Well, tonight we went back to Borders to return the book. I honestly didn't think it could be done. But I should've known better - Gram can (and does) return everything! It's crazy. They took the book back, despite the fact that this kind of return policy could quickly turn Borders into a library! Gram has a gift.

As we were leaving the Born Free, Pop said, "well, why don't you pick me up a book by Yancey. He's one of the best writers I've ever read." On the way into Borders, I gave Gram a big "I told you so!!"

I was considering going to a movie tonight. It didn't pan out, but I did notice that one of the local theaters is playing 127 Hours - it's a movie about that guy who was hiking out in Utah, got his arm stuck under a boulder, and eventually amputated his own arm with a pocket knife. Just thinking about it makes me queasy! Anyway, I went to law school with that dude's sister! The bowling team and I used to pal around with her husband, Zach, quite a bit.

Tonight is our last night in California! Tomorrow we fly to Omaha, and then we're just a three and a half hour drive from Humboldt!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Brandon. I found the image of the RV you posted and really liked it. Would you mind if I used it in an ad I'm running for an RV program? Would really appreciate it.