Sunday, December 5, 2010

Farewell

We're in frigid Humboldt, Iowa (my birthplace!) and it's time to stick a fork in the BF Trek Blog.

It's been a great trip! I'm really glad I was able to make it.

I've learned a little bit about myself - for instance, given enough fried food, I will order a salad and look forward to it!

I've also learned that I look and act more like my father than I ever realized. And I think that he, in turn, shares more traits with his father than he'll readily admit :) Coming back to Humboldt and Fort Dodge is always interesting because my family has pretty significant roots here. Going to the grocery store is a social event since we can't help but run into people we know. Or in my case, people who know me ... and whom I don't remember.

In the short time I've spent in Iowa, I've been told that I look like my dad so many times it's ridiculous. And Pop and Gram have never hesitated to let me know that I "sound just like Johnnie!" or that "that's something your dad would say!"

They say there are stages in the mourning process. I'm not to "acceptance" yet, but I'll get there someday ... :)

I've also learned a lot about Pop and Gram!

I've never really seen Pop in "go" mode before. He get's keyed up with an almost nervous energy. He's invigorated by meeting and talking with people. He's also a dedicated pitch player! We played at least two games each night, and I'm getting better - probably winning about half the time now!

Gram's sweet tooth is legendary in our family, but I never fully understood it's extent. She's drawn to pastries and sweets like a fly to light! I don't think I've ever turned down more candy and ice cream in my life! She's a good sport and we've had a lot of good laughs together!

I'm glad I had the opportunity to go on this Born Free Trek and spend this time with Pop and Gram. I also really enjoyed seeing the countryside that we traversed and meeting all the interesting people who came to see us.

I'd love to have another adventure and write about it, but I think it may be time to reinsert myself in the working world ... maybe ... :)

If you're sad about not having anymore Born Free adventures to read about (and I'm sure you are) you should check out Northern Exposure. It's a blog chronicling Bill Dodgen's 35 day drive (in a Born Free) from Tennessee to Alaska! Bill is, I think, my third cousin, so maybe this nomadic RV lifestyle runs in our blood. His blog is very well written - much more professional than mine. Check it out!

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravo! If you write it I will read. You certainly are a gifted writer and adventurer. I felt like I just finished one of those books where you are enjoying so much but at some point you begin to get upset because you know it will soon come to an end. I am left searching to fill the void so keep us posted!!!